Past Verdicts & Settlements
Set out below are just a few examples of the results achieved by Mr. Pitcaithley and his associates in automobile collision and premises liability cases. Each verdict or settlement obtained was a result of the specific facts in each case:
MOTOR VEHICLE COLLISIONS – WRONGFUL DEATH – AUTO VS. MOTORCYCLE –
AUTO VS. BIKE RIDER – AUTO VS. PEDESTRIAN
- Retired 65 year old male involved in low speed head-on collision resulting in cervical spine disc/vertebral segment injury requiring fusion. Result: $850,000.00 recovery.
- Retired Male, age 64, suffered whiplash injury resulting in severe neck and low back injury with resulting lumbar fusion. Result: $245,000.00 recovery.
- Female, age 61, involved in broadside auto collision in intersection in El Cajon suffers herniated cervical disc required surgical fusion. Result: $230,000.00 recovery
- 22-year-old female waitress in San Diego suffers whiplash trauma and post-concussion trauma, including anxiety, in moderate speed rear-end collision. Recovery $100,000 including third party and (JIM recoveries both policy limits.
- Male, age 65, with pre-existing lumbar fusions involved in low speed T-bone collision resulting in neck, mid and low back whiplash injuries. Result: $186,000.00
- Young married couple involved in highway head-on collision suffer mild neck and back whiplash injury, and severe emotional distress. Result: $135,300.00 combined recovery.
- Female, age 28, suffers right wrist fracture requiring surgery as a result of side impact collision with negligent driver. Result: $115,000.00 recovery.
- Male, age 62, hit on motorcycle by vehicle in El Cajon intersection suffering sever injury to lower legs. Result: Policy limits recovery of $100,000.00.
- Two vehicle freeway exit ramp collision resulting in death of 21 year old female. Result: $100,000.00 recovery (policy limits)
- Retired Male, age 62, suffered whiplash injury to neck and low back in illegal -U- turn T-bone collision. Result: $100,000.00 recovery (policy limits)
- Retired Male, age 64, hit broadside by garbage truck in intersection resulting in death. Result: $150,000.00 (policy limits)
- 48-year old female performing maid/laundry services at elder care facility suffers disc herniation and cord compression in cervical spine as a result of automobile rear-end collision on eastbound 78 freeway in North County. Recovery: Policy limits $100,000.00
- 27-year old female casino security worker, who was T-boned in controlled intersection by negligent driver, suffers multiple displaced factures to her index finger; her middle and ring finger; and her little finger (collectively “metacarpal fractures”) resulting in open reduction and internal fixation surgery. Recovery: $100,000.00 policy limits.
- 82-year old former receptionist at “Weight Watchers” injured in T-bone collision by drunk driver coming out of parking lot driveway suffers severe whiplash injury superimposed on preexisting cervical and lumbar spine stenosis causing chronic pain. Recovery: Policy limits of $100,000.00.
- Male, age 50, involved in rear-end auto collision in San Diego with resulting cervical hernia disc treated without surgery. Result: $85,000.00
- Male, age 48, carpenter involved in three vehicle rear end auto collision resulting in whiplash injury to low back with resulting wage loss. Result: $85,000.00 recovery
- Female, age 55, involved in rear end freeway collision with uninsured driver suffers whiplash injury to cervical spine. Result: $85,000.00 recovery on Uninsured Motorist Policy
- Male, age 48, involved in T-bone collision suffered whiplash neck injury and tinnitus (ringing in the ears). Result: $60,000.00 recovery
- Male, age 22, back seat passenger, not wearing seat belt, involved in head-on collision suffered whiplash neck injury and concussion: Result: $62,500.00 recovery.
- Male, age 45, suffers neck, back, shoulder, and facial soft tissue injuries when he is struck on his bicycle by a negligent driver. Result: $50,000.00 recovery.
- Female, age 60, involved in low speed head-on collision sustained whiplash injury to neck and low back. Result: $50,000.00 recovery.
- Elder San Diego married couple involved in minor rear-end collision in El Cajon resulting in whiplash injuries superimposed on couple’s pre-existing neck and back conditions. $61,000.00 joint recovery
- Female, age 66, suffers blunt force trauma from safety belt as passenger in broadside collision in Lakeside, suffers ruptured spleen. Result: $65,000.00 policy limits including Underinsured Motorist coverage.
- 74-year old male insurance salesman involved as driver in car number two of five car collision rear-ender on College Avenue, suffers whiplash injuries including an aggravation of pre-existing lumbar spine degenerative disk disease. Recovery $60,000.00
- Female, age 28, suffers whiplash injuries to neck and back in rear-end auto collision in Mission Valley. Result: $54,300.00
- Female motorcycle riders, ages 39 and 42, struck by automobile knocking them to the ground with both suffering non-displaced fractures to the collarbone. Recovery: Policy limits of $25,000 each for total of $50,000.00
- Female sisters, ages 18 and 21, sustain mild whiplash injuries when rear-ended by drunk driver on freeway in Los Angeles. Result: $51,000.00 combined recovery.
- 67-year old retired disabled female Walmart sales clerk suffers cervical and lumber whiplash injuries in rear-end collision while stopped at freeway on-ramp aggravating multiple serious pre-existing pathologies. Recovery $50,000.00
- Male, age 21, suffers closed head injury (concussion) and whiplash injury to neck in T-bone collision at intersection. Result: $48,500.00
- Male, age 43, suffers whiplash injuries to neck and back in rear-end auto collision. Result: $52,000.00 recovery.
- 82-year old female retired social worker suffers bruising to hip/leg and cervical whiplash injury when slipping and falling on debris in aisle of Walmart. Recovery $40,000.00
- Female minor, age 15, suffers bruises and contusions, and left ankle non-displaced fracture (casted without surgery) when, while walking near the sidewalk, she is struck by a slow moving vehicle. Result: $35,590.00
- 76-year old female retired home warranty company administrator was struck as a pedestrian in cross-walk by slow-moving vehicle suffering minor cuts and bruises and minor whiplash injuries. Recovery $32,000.00
- Multiple other whiplash neck and low back injury automobile collisions resulting in recoveries ranging from $10,000.00 to $40,000.00.
PREMISES LIABILITY ACTIONS – SLIP / FALL / DOG BITE
- San Diego State College student, age 20, suffers catastrophic injury to right leg when aged, cracked, and defective block wall (no rebar) surrounding yard in student residential home collapses when student jumps on the wall. Jury Verdict: $6,273,495.00
- Female, age 30, fell from unprotected stage during a job fair and sustained fractured ankle with resulting chronic pain (RSD): Recovery: $1,100,000.00 structured settlement.
- 38 Buyers of homes in new housing development sue for construction defects, water intrusion and mold damage. Result: $2,750,000.00 recovery.
- 52-year old North San Diego County construction worker attending family re-union thrown from ATV when “invisible” wire fence strung across and blocking ATV path by horse owner intending to corral horses on property. Policy Limit recovery $500,000.00.
- Male, age 38, suffers burn injury to left lower leg in boiler room. Result: $400,000.00 recovery.
- Elder female, age 75, trips/falls over carton in supermarket aisle, sustaining neck injury. Result: $210,000.00 recovery.
- 64-year old female buyers real estate broker attacked and knocked down by 50-pound Sheppard-Hound dog owned by seller and under care of selling real estate agent during home inspection; buyer’s broker suffers fractured femur with open reduction surgery to repair: Policy limits recovery on dog owner of $100,000 and further recovery from seller’s real estate agents of $40,000.00 for a total $140,000.00 recovery to client.
- Elder female, age 70, living in senior housing apartment complex falls over carpet during flooring repair injuring hip / knee. Recovery: $50,000.00 (Policy Limits).
- 32 Buyers of homes in new housing development sue for construction defects, water intrusion and mold damage. Result: $1,200,000.00 recovery.
- 32-year old female food server at Costco suffers a trimalleolar fracture to her right ankle requiring open reduction with internal fixation surgery when she catches her foot in hole in defective and poorly lit stairs in her apartment building in Chula Vista. Recovery $200,000.00
- Female, age 29, falls on stairway with no handrail in San Francisco apartment and suffers herniated disc requiring surgery (property owner uninsured): Result: $80,000.00 recovery from property owner (Chinese Nationals)
- Male, age 48, carpenter injured by falling railing on charter fishing boat suffers aggravation of pre-existing neck fusion. Result: $55,000.00 recovery
- Shop keeper sustains property damage fire loss due to electrical short in out of code electrical box. Result: $60,000.00 recovery
- Condominium owner suffers water intrusion due to failure of HOA to make repairs. Result: $ 110,000.00 recovery.
- Female, age 50, attacked and bitten by dog while hiking in Alpine suffering neck and back injuries and minor bite wound to right leg. Result: $40,000.00
- Multiple dog and animal attack cases with recoveries ranging between $17,000.00 and $240,000.00.
- Female, age 40, suffers bacterial infection resulting from cat bite wound. Result: $33,500.00.
- Multiple other less serious injury claims resulting from trip / fall / defective conditions on property / poor lighting / poor design -layout / poor maintenance / slippery surfaces / overwatering / failed flooring / carpeting / mold contamination / property damage claims between $40,000.00 and $20,000.00.
If you are looking for an experienced attorney who will give personal attention to the circumstances of your injury and who will understand how your injury has adversely impacted your life, contact Alan L. Pitcaithley. Our offices are open Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Attorney Pitcaithley will be there for you anytime, weekends included.